What kind of oil in motor, too thick?  You have hydraulic lifters, I think
(if so shouldn't be valve adjust problem)?

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of WILTON
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 4:31 PM
To: mercedes list
Subject: [MBZ] Glowing ]91 350SDL

Several months ago, I installed 6 new glow plugs in the SDL.  Since then,
when its cool, below 50F or so, I have to glow it for 3 or 4 30-second
cycles to start it without "grinding" starter.  Glow light gives normal
indications, fuse is good/new (yes, it really is - good power (12v) on both
sides of fuse), relay clicks at 30 seconds, continuity check of all plugs is
good.  'Does same way with another good relay.  Plugs are obviously heating
some -' just takes longer/several times when engine is cold.  When it
starts, all cyls fire evenly with nice, smooth idle.  'Seems that when it
gets warm enough to start, all cyls have warmed evenly.  'Just realized
something I haven't done yet - check voltage at each of the 6 relay pins
during the 30-second cycle.  Always before, 'cept when plugs are bad, it
started with just a touch of the starter switch to START.

When I replaced the glow plugs, I did not ream the holes; suppose carbon
build-up is keeping the plugs from heating as rapidly or as well as it
normally has?  'Spose my  need for additional glowing is due to carbon
build-up?

Wilton