Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 3:46 PM
To: Diesel List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Glow Plug Lifespan??

Marshall and I used to fight about this. I'd suggested replacing all the plugs pro-actively every 50,000 miles or so and always replacing all of them at once. He was of the mind that you need only replace them when they failed and only replace those that had failed.

Under Marshall's rule I had to replace plugs in the dark at -10F once. NEVER AGAIN!

Both of my cars have plugs that are right around 1 year and 20,000 miles old. At the first sign of problems all 4 in a car will be replaced at the earliest possible opportunity. Theres nothing less fun than trying to start a car without all the glowplugs...

-Curt