My brother's lab partner pulled the disappearing act, right after he got
the check, he vanished.

Put my brother in a tight pinch, as you can imagine.

I don't feel like debating it till the list fizzles, but I know more than
enough people that have no other "job" than living in the dorms, getting
just good enough grades to keep financial aid, and then changing majors
when it looks like degree progress may raise flags.

Walt.