Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net> writes:

> One of my best friends was a teacher from 1962-1994.  When he retired,
> he told me that if I wanted to see what was wrong with the schools,
> simply look at a 1964 payroll and a 1994 payroll. Calculate the
> percentage of total wages and benefits going to non-teaching personnel
> for both and compare the two numbers. I bet it's worse now than it was
> in 1994. Too many generals, not enough sergeants.

Same problem any bureaucracy has.  It grows.  Budgets and authority are
based on the number of people in reporting lines.  You advance your
career by increasing the number of people you manage.  Because you are
rewarded for spending all your budget, and penalized if you don't, there
are incentives to spend money on large staffs, offices, facilites,
technology, junkets to conferences, etc.  Worse, you get rewarded for
failure.  When you fail, you claim it's because you don't have enough
money.  Since your budget is controlled by other bureaucrats who have
the same world view, you get more money the worse you perform.  This is
why most of the worst school districts have the highest spending per
pupil.

Allan
--
1983 300D