Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:11 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Oh Wilton

DanP wrote:
I'm not sure I have a problem with state control of textbooks, but there should be some sort of governing body that defines curriculum, or people are going to be all over the place in terms of what is being taught. Someone has to set the standards.

Centralizing control and standards are good to a point.
Central control and standards essentially deny and eliminate concepts
of ingenuity or invention.  I don't think you want that to happen.
While you have a fine system humming along in your system today, you
have few, if any, mechanisms to allow innovation or invention to make
the system hum along even better.  We easily lose sight of objectives.
Education.  Education requires vested interests which we have lost.
The parent interested in education does that education themselves -
with the benefit of innovative methods and inventiveness in getting
the material across to their kids in whom they need to cultivate a
vested interest in education.  When we shove these tasks off to
others, we lose control, interest, innovation, objectives.  There is a
lot to be said for homeschools.  We homeschooled k12 7 kids all of
whom are adults today, in varying sucess in the market.
mao