To your excellent program idea I'd add - No cell phones or electronics of any kind - better to be alone with their thoughts to contemplate their predicament and what is needed to rise above that lot. Or accept it and try to find something acceptable.... ;-)

LarryT

-----Original Message----- From: Curt Raymond
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 9:55 PM
To: Diesel List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Oh Wilton

Which is the impetus for my mandatory service plan wherein all high school graduates are given a horrible government issue job for a semester. They can sweep up, or pump septic tanks or collect trash on the side of the road. Just think how clean our roadsides would be, fewer people would litter if they'd spent five months picking it up...

During this mandatory service everybody lives in govt issued dormitory housing (think barracks) AWAY FROM HOME. Nobody is allowed to do their service within say 500 miles of home, there is no going home on weekends. This teaches you how to be away from home and how to live with others. The government feeds you and clothes you, its a lot like the army, or prison.

After your term of service you're allowed to continue with life in whatever manner you want. Some people will have found their niche which is a valuable service to them. Others will go on to college or trade school but they will KNOW WHY THEY'RE THERE!

I learned this surveying for the Portland to Boston rail link back in '94. I remember standing in Rigby rail yard in Scarborough, Maine wearing:
1 pair polypropylene long underwear top and bottom
1 pair nylon pants
1 pair jeans
1 pair wool pants
1 long sleeve tee shirt
1 short sleeve tee shirt
1 wool sweater
1 parka
1 nylon hat
1 wool hat

and no gloves because I couldn't operate the instrument with gloves on.
The wind would blow completely through my body. Even with all that kit on I was freezing.

That was how I knew I had to go to college. Missed graduating with honors by 0.02 of a point.

-Curt