Allen,
I apologize, I now see we are both expressing the same concerns from
different viewpoints.

The concern issue is "how do we best educate our children" as a society.
If it were a perfect world, I suppose that would be by some sort of
"injection of knowledge" like polio vaccine. It's both not a perfect world,
and not possible.

There are smart parents, less than smart parents, smart children, less than
smart children, schools follow the same profile. Some do the job well, some
do not. The teachers hired and supported by those schools are equally
gifted or lacking of gifts for lighting up the thirst for knowledge in the
individual student.  It is a complex set of problems for which we desire a
simple answer.... and lack of effort, surplus of government funds, or the
Herculean effort of individual gifted parents or teachers will not "cure
stupid".

In the words of the Greek, Socrates "The best school is a log.... with a
student on one end and a teacher on the other".   [in todays world, I would
presume that log would be floating in the middle of the Pacific and well
out of  text or PDA range, so the teacher would have undivided attention of
said student]

Grant...
AZ....