I graduated 12 years ago and there were plenty who were "slidin'" which meant
you were taking your financial aid or saddling mommy and daddy with the cost of
school for a semester or two before dropping out and doing something else.
There was a pretty well known standard for the amount of class you had to
attend before somebody noticed and said something.

My first year in school I was WAY under challenged so for my basic classes
(English 2 for instance, I'd tested out of English 1 (perfect score on the
TSWE) and was still a year ahead of everybody else in the class) I attended as
little class as possible while still meeting the minimum.

Actually now that I think of it at one point I told my English 2 teacher I was
reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and that my 3 hours a week
would probably be better spent doing that than coming to class. He agreed and
that week I just stayed in my room and read during class. The next week I was
reading something else so I caught him in the hall and told him the book and
didn't go in. This continued for the semester, if he'd read the book we'd talk
about it, otherwise it was "well, see you need week maybe". Finally I mentioned
I'd been averaging a book a week since second grade and I'd probably read more
books than the rest of the class put together...

I took "Advanced Expository Writing" with him a couple years later and he rode
my ass the whole time.

-Curt