Or you can change the filter the way my MB trained Indies always did and I
never had a problem on either of my 617s. I now use the same method when I
change the secondary filter with no problems either.

1. Obviously, using a wrench or socket, loosen the bolt and then unscrew the
filter by hand.
2. Put on a new washer on the bolt, preferably a copper and not aluminum.
3. Fill the filter with injector cleaner as the cleaner will go straight to the
injectors and they get a good cleaning when you start the engine.
4. Put some diesel fuel on the filter gasket for lube.
5. Spin the filter on the bolt until it fills snug.
6. Use your wrench or socket to tighten the bolt, and I mean tighten good to
seal the filter and compress the new washer.
7. Start the engine and check for leaks. If any, tighten the filter bolt more.
Run engine until all injector cleaner has run out of the filter.

Now this has always worked perfectly on my two old 617s and is only two data
points over a period of about 14 years.
Good luck and Merry Christmas ,

Roger Hale
Dinnerware Classics, Inc.