We had a similar situation with a desalinization plant here in Tampa.  Went way
over budget, then failed the initial testing, especially when it came to
output.  Seems that the engineer had simply scaled up a much smaller system,
and when doing so, found that things didn't work when you made them bigger....

Not sure government control of your river is necessarily a good thing - we have
just that in the American West with the Colorado River, and water rights are
probably one of the most hotly contested issues in that part of the country.

Dan