Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:29:09 -0600
From: Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Shipping A Vehicle vs. Fly And Drive

Yeah, and the ISU solar car team rolled a great long Frod van and
crashed their trailer with solar car. inside.  THings like that
happen with inexperienced drivers and speeds too high.  Does that
mean that Frod vans are unsafe at any speed?

One obvious problem in the tow vehicle in the photo is that it is
both short wheelbase and high center of gravity.  This "SUV" trash
that is foisted on us is dangerous.  Exploders, balzers, cheeps, and
yes, the shovey equalknox are all dangerous because of short WB and
high CG.

The MB has a steering lock.  Center the wheel, lock the steering, and
go slow.  Probably 50 to 55 is max.  Lower the front tire pressure on
the car towed backward to 22-25 or so.  The biggest problem is lack
of common sense.  Common sense says that when/if it starts to whip,
you slow down and steer straight dwn the road.  Numbskulls try to
countersteer and that amplifies the whip and causes crashes.

You want the tow vehicle as heavy as possible, especially on the back.

Read my signature funny.  The most uncommon thing in this country is
common sense.