I was making a brick walk in front of my house in Wisconsin, and I needed to
get a bunch of the brick cut into little triangle shapes to fill in along the
edges, as I was doing a herringbone pattern.

I loaded probably 400-500 pounds of bricks into a little UHaul trailer and
hooked it up to my 1991 Ford Escort wagon. Thinking that it was best to have
the load in the front of the trailer, I stacked the bricks up against the front
wall ahead of the axle.

I got out on I-43 and started to drive, accelerating up to the speed limit.

The trailer started whipping around like a crazed cat, ultimately taking hold
of the car and spinning it around in a complete circle at least once before I
ended up on the median facing in the opposite direction on the same side of the
road I had been on.

As this was happening, an elderly couple in a green Buick (this part is etched
in my brain) was passing me. I remember looking at them, as I was no more than
a passenger at this point, and seeing the look of terror in their eyes.

When I came to a stop, the contents of a cup of Coke I had was sprayed all over
me and the interior of my car.

After I had gathered my senses, I carefully drove (with my hazards on at a very
low speed) to the next exit, where I redistributed the load and then drove
cross country at a reduced speed to the masonry company that was cutting my
bricks...

A very practical learning experience when it comes to properly loading a
trailer.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone