Gerry

From: "E M" <pokieba...@gmail.com>
Solenoid stuck ?
Ed
300E

On 25 January 2012 11:53, Larry T <l02tur...@comcast.net> wrote:
Hey gang -
   My son is now the owner of our long term 78 240D and this morning he
said it was making a funny noise. He's technically challenged, what can I
say?

   So i go out and the starter is spinning but not engaging the flywheel.
 The key was out of the ognition and it kept spinning - I had to pull the
neg terminal from the battery to stop it - and when I tried to put the
battery cable back on the starter started spinning again. The starter did
not get hot - but I guess it wasn't under any real load.

   Is this a starter pinion issue or ring gear issue? Or possibly either?
When I did an engine rebuild several years ago both gears looked fine and
I've never heard it grind as if missing teeth (like my MGB).

What's the best course of action?

Thanks -
LarryT
78 240D