Thanks Fred (and Ed)
A Hammer! Who'da thunk it? If at first you don't succeed? get a bigger hammer!

Thanks - I'll give it a shot - If the hammer trick doesn't work, I assume I can replace the solenoid or try to "unweld" it? Wonder if the Solenoid can be replaced w/o removing the starter? I always hated pulling a starter because they're so darned heavy and hard to hold in place while the fasteners are started! Plus, the MB starter bolts are really hard to reach -

Thanks though - now I understand the problem.

Larry -