Did today's posted results give a clearer picture of shat the issue might be?

Luther

On Jan 30, 2012 6:57 PM, Fmiser <fmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Benz Hogs wrote:

> > If the solenoid is bad, would the voltage stay 12.8?

> Mitch Haley wrote:

> If the electromagnet coil in the solenoid were open, you could

> have 12.8 on one side and zero on the other with no current

> draw.

12.8 V referenced to _ground_.  I specifically said voltage

between the control terminal and the _positive_ battery post.

With an open coil and a working switch the voltage between

battery "+" and the solenoid terminal:

 * switch off (at rest) it will be variable and flaky

   (depending on the impedance of the meter, the insulation of

   the test leads, how the leads are held, etc)

 * switch on (cranking) 0 volts - because there

   will be zero current flow.

If the coil is good and the switch is good:

 * switch off (at rest) it will be 12.8 V - because at the

   current draw of the meter the coil of the solenoid makes

   the trigger terminal appear to be ground.

 * switch on (cranking) it should be less than a volt, or so -

   because the there is some resistance in the wire so there

   will be a bit of voltage drop due to the current flow.

And so on.  If you don't understand the theory, just post the

results of the test and we'll interperet for you.  Just be

sure to follow the connection instructions!

--     Philip