Over the years I've had few problems with the Mac OS (7.1 to 10.5.8). I wish I could say the same of Windows, any version other than Vista or 7, which I have not used yet.

Worst problem seems to be minor file errors that cause boot failure. followed by disk errosr that result in loss of format errors (this later is really annoying). Power outages cause endless trouble with Windows, I've never had a failure on the Mac OS I could trace to a power outage.

I'm in the process of fixing a couple units at work with those problems, sometimes Spinrite will save the day, but usually a damaged file somewhere will hang up the boot and the only reliable course of action is to REFORMAT THE DRIVE and do a fresh install. Repairing or re-installing without a complete format won't work, I end up with and endless reboot or the BSOD.

That should never be necessary, but I've had to do it any number of times.

The file repair tools in Windows are pretty much useless. Mac tools are better, and things like Disk Warrior have raised more than one Mac from the dead for me long enough to copy off files and so forth. Permissions repair would probably fix most of the boot failure problems, but it's not available anywhere that I can find for Windows.

Worst Mac issue I've had in years, in fact, was some memory that caused OS installation crashes, why I don't know, but it did. Seemed to work fine on installed software, but I needed to fire up OS 9 for some reason, and the installation crashed repeatedly until I swapped out some memory.

It's very frustrating to be able to read a disk perfectly with Linux while windows will not recognize the installation or that there is a formated disk available, let alone copy data, etc.

Peter