A lot of software vendors (MS included) will automatically discount or cut you
a deal if you have an email address on a .edu domain.

What sucks is that "regular" K-12 schools typically have a .k12.fl.us (example
using my employer) domain, rather than a .edu, so we don't qualify.

Find a college kid if you want software. When I was at the university you could
by major titles for pennies on the dollar. For example, we could buy the whole
MS Office suite (professional version) for something like $28.00.

Dan