I don't have anything *against* electric vehicles per-se, I just find
annoying the rose-colored advocacy that tries to rationalize away the
very real limitations they currently have.

I'll wait and see how they hold up and what kind of prices they command
on the used market in 5 or 10 years.  I could justify having a 200 mile
or even somewhat less range on a cheap commuter car.  I would *not*
consider that acceptable on a $50K+ new car, even if I had the cash to
spend.

Meanwhile we (as in government) are going to need to figure out a way to
replace all the tax revenue that will be lost on traditional fuel sales.
Your "cheap" recharge won't stay that way once a significant number of
people start doing it.  And simple economics dictates that the
additional demand for electricity should lead to higher rates, but since
utilities are government-regulated and have limits on what they can
charge, we will instead get shortages.

Speaking of utilities, they are going to have to figure out how to
handle an additional 50--100KWh daily usage per house that has a
charging station.  This will probably double the electrical usage at a
typical household.  And many houses will have more than one car.  A few
people charging cars on a standard residential neighborhood circuit
might not be an issue, but if EVERYONE (or even a significant number of
people) are charging two cars at home every night, utilities will need
to build up infrastructure and capacity.  This will translate to even
higher electric rates to fund the expansion.

"Kevin Kraly" <kr...@comcast.net> writes:

> Tesla and Toyota are colaborating on a Rav4 EV which I actually got to
> see and ride in as well since my brother-in-llaw works for Toyota.
> Electric vehicles would suit our family driving habits very well.  It
> wouldn't tow the boat or travel trailer, so we would have to have a
> fuel burner in the fleet for that, the '07 Dodge Diesel.  I have a
> feeling that the price is going to scare me off, and the people hauler
> Crypsler Around Town &Country MV is nearly paid off with only 33Kmi on
> it.  Having no payment would be nice!
>
> Kevin in Hillsboro, Oregon

1983 300D
1979 300SD