Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:47:32 -0500
From: Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Tesla Model X unveiling tonight

According to the Wikipedia entry for the Tesla Roadster:

    "Recharging with electricity from the average USA grid [...] yields a
full-cycle energy-equivalency of 44.0 mpg."

The formula for "full-cycle energy-equivalency" considers a bunch of "upstream"
factors in the production and transmission of electricity and petroleum-based
fuels.

So it's decently economical, on par with other small gasoline-powered cars but
certainly less than the most efficient diesel-powered cars.

Full details http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Roadster#Energy_efficiency

Allan