plugs and circuit are all OK.  I took the car to a M-B indy in town and they
suggested possibly low compression, so I had them do a compression check on a
cold engine and they obtained the following compression check numbers:
#1 Cyl.         430 psi
#2   “            445  “
#3   “            430  “
#4   “            320  “
#5   “            320  “

This shop said the M-B spec for the maximum pressure deviation between
cylinders should be no more than 43.51 psi and they question either sticking
oil rings in #4 & #5 or misadjusted valves.  Since I do my own valve
adjustments on both my '84 300D and my '85 300TD, I'm convinced the last valve
adjustment (<1000 mi. ago) is OK and the rough idle and serious smoking issue
was present when my brother owned the car, but it's easy enough to check the
valve clearances which I plan on doing tomorrow.  Also note, for those who may
not remember, at the suggestion of possibly the best M-B mechanic in the Pbgh.
area, I replaced the valve stem seals on the 300TD in summer 2011.
Any suggestions?

G. M. Brown
Brevard, NC