But ..... one of the reasons that our furnace has lasted as long as it has without rusting is that the pilot light keeps the heat exchanger warm and dry througout the summer. We also run a dehumidifier in the basement most of the time in the summer to keep things down there dry. I don't like it when my tools turn brown.

Randy

On 17/02/2012 2:42 PM, Scott Ritchey wrote:
Pilot lights can use a lot of gas but if the furnace is inside heated space
and you shut the pilot off in the summer it's not that big a deal:  it's
heat and it's going where you need it.

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Randy Bennell
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 2:24 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: more furnace talk

On 17/02/2012 12:43 PM, Scott Ritchey wrote:
Gee!  In the old 80% efficiency days you had one overtemp sensor (that
turned off the flame) and one hot sensor (that turned on the fan) and a
thermostat (that turned on the solenoid for the flame), plus a couple
relays
and a transformer.  My, how far we've come.  Kinda déjà vu for a new MBZ
vs
my 82 300SD.

Scott

My furnace would predate that. We have a pilot light so not ignitor etc.
I have been told by more than one "expert" that I should keep it as long
as I can.
Unless NG prices start climbing, it probably makes sense to leave it
alone as long as I can.

Randy