You and I are of one mind on this, Marshall and my Indy are of the other where
you replace only the parts which have failed when they fail.

I figure the hoses are all about the same age...

-Curt

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 02:37:38 -0500
From: E M <pokieba...@gmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 1985 190E 2.3 question

I'd find out exactly what has the hole in it, and get a quote from Rusty
for a new part/s.  Doesn't sound like changing an air hose would be a big
deal.  If you have to reset the mixture and stuff, that's something others
on the list would have to offer pointers on.

If it's a car she loves, and sounds like it is, she should maybe think
about changing several of the other hoses if they are original.  Sometimes
it's best just to change all those things at once.  I did a lot of the
rubber hoses at once on the 300E, and Rusty charged me about the same for 6
hoses, or less, than the dealer wanted for one.  Cheap insurance, and being
an '85, there are probably lots of rubber and plastic bits that are now
quite fragile.  And, if you have to remove old brittle parts to get to the
part you need, you run the risk of damaging them.  Might just as well
reassemble with new fresh parts that you, and she can trust.

All it takes is a small leak in an old dry coolant hose to leave you
stranded.  Ask me how I know.  hee hee.

Ed
300E