You can use Audacity to convert a 78 played at 45 -- there is a feature in there to do that. Rip it then do the conversion. I have a bunch of old 78s someone gave me, and ran a few of them through. I wouldn't bother with one of the new USB things, just run a monitor out from your receiver to your sound card "in" (which might be the MIC in) and do it that way. I bought an external Creative sound card box (USB) some years ago that has a bunch of inputs and outputs, it seems to work pretty well. It was like $25 at the time.

On your other TT, there is a thing called a "load belt" that makes the tray go in/out, probably. I had a nice NEC CD player that would go through them pretty quickly. Basically a little rubber band, I bought a bunch to replace them, but alas now the CD player is ancient technology.

--R