I believe Macs have had decent to high end audio. I am not concerned about the sound "card" at this point. It seems to me that the software and its sampling rate, compression and that sort of stuff are more of a concern than the turntable or the sound on the computer. I figured on using audacity.

I was just wondering if the usb turntables were markedly better or worse than the regular turntable fed through a fair to middling receiver/amp. My turntable is 1972 vintage Pioneer PL-12D

I bought an Ion for the wife a few years back and she converted a bunch of
her vinyl collection.  IIRC we bought some software ("Spin it Again"?) in
preference to what Ion supplied.  That worked ok  The quality is ok on most
of the files she got, but I'm sure one could do better with a good turntable
hooked up through a decent preamp/receiver or such.  I think the sound card
in the 'puter is also a big factor.  I bought an Audigy PCMCIA off eBay to
plug into her ThinkPad for that purpose.

Greg