All I had to do to get her running was to hook up the new battery! One 45
second glow cycle and it lit right off like it was sitting overnight! The idle
is a bit low and the shift notches don’t line up with the gates, but the
drivetrain performs as it should, even the kickdown function! Holding true with
any 35 year old survivor, she does have some bad and a bit of ugly thrown in
too. There’s a rattle/grinding somewhere in the left rear when the car is
moving. I thought it was the muffler dragging, but the exhaust seems to be
buttoned up tightly. It doesn’t sound like a sway bar link, more rotational
sounding. It came with a set of brake pads, so it could be something with the
left rear caliper. The back of the hood is up, probably bent hinges, and the
UGLY is the rust through under the battery tray! A little microwave sheet
metal, some welding, painting and rust proofer would do it (where are you,
Cathey? The rear window gasket is quite dry and cracked, and the front isn’t
far behind. It’s straight with a decent interior other than the warn driver’s
seat. All in all, it’s a great car for $750!
Kevin in Hillsboro, Oregon
1977 240D, 315K miles, Unnamed
PS. Still working on some German names, Irmgard, Liesel, ideas? I thought about
Ismelda, (I smelled her) from a mile away hahahahaha!)