Thermostat.  Get one from rusty or stealer.  No flaps crap.

Sunday morn we took my 78 240D to breakfast, then ran home for a minute. As it was cold out I left the car running while I ran into the house. When I got back to the car maybe two minutes later the temp gauge was not quite pegged but definetly sitting at nearly the top of the swing. I ran it to the end of the street to see if moving would bring it down but it didn't. The belt to the water pump is in place and not burnt or loose. The coolant level is normal, there are no untoward noises.

So I'm thinking its probably either the waterpump or thermostat. The question is how do I rule one out without replacing one? The waterpump looks like a bear as the AC compressor bracket is in the way. It could of course be the gauge. That'll be my first thing to test. Any other ideas?

-Curt

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android