> Dan Penoff wrote:

> Could be a clogged radiator. This can manifest itself by
> running at proper temps at idle or low speeds, but at higher
> speeds temps climb above normal until the speed is decreased.

Huh?

The posted problem:

    Sunday morn we took my 78 240D to breakfast, then ran home
    for a minute. As it was cold out I left the car running
    while I ran into the house. When I got back to the car
    maybe two minutes later the temp gauge was not quite
    pegged but definetly sitting at nearly the top of the
    swing. I ran it to the end of the street to see if moving
    would bring it down but it didn't.

So it got hot when it was sitting still.  That's a pretty
decreased speed.

--    Philip