I'm gettin' hypothermia just *thinking* about it.  17F with some wind and
outside for 8 minutes letting the dogs out in the morning just about kills me.
Tom
Sand Springs, OK

At 02:05 PM 12/06/2005 -0800, you wrote:

>oh yes. I think the Arctic Circle is mile 115 on  the Dalton Hwy...it
starts in Fairbanks and goes about 440 miles to  Deadhorse...you are abour
300 miles NORTH of the arctic circle - you  stand on the shore of the
Arctic Ocean. Some people take off their  shoes and stand in it. One guy
said it was about 50 F (result of 24  hours of sunlight for two months
straight) - another was there in  summer - it was right about freezing and
the ocean was ice and slush -  I would still stand in about 1 foot deep for
a picture...although if  you slipped, you might die - hypothermia happens
FAST...so does  frostbite - had it once - VERY painful.

>  Chris
>
>Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Would this put us above
the arctic circle??

>On 12/6/05, Christopher McCann  wrote:
>>
>> A few years ago, my dad's cousin and her husband  drove the Dalton Highway
>> to Deadhorse, Alaska...some 4,000+ miles from  Kansas City in a camper. You
>> can drive within 3 miles of the Arctic  Ocean and from there a bus takes
you
>> to the Ocean...Prudhoe Bay to be  exact. Usually about freezing even in the
>> summer. The Dalton Highway is  mostly gravel, hard on cars (particularly
>> windshields and headlights),  etc. Tons of articles on line and picture
>> galleries.
>>
>> A sample: http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/byway/ak_dalton.htm
>>
>> Anyone interested in an "Arctic-Q"? Not really able to do this any
>> time  soon - maybe this coming summer...or the following summer...but I
>> have  been thinking about it and thought I would throw it out for
>> thoughts,  reactions, ideas, etc. Could be very interesting as a
>> multi-car  caravan...we could carry lots of tools and spare parts between
>> several  vehicles in addition to all the other stuff - spare tires, food,
>> water,  clothes for the arctic blasts that can come at any time, etc.
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
>> -2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
>> -1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
>> -1985 300SD, 210K, "Wulf"
>> -1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
>> -1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
>> -1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"

>--
>OK Richard 1987 300D 178k with miles and miles to go!!!
>Midwest City, Oklahoma
>

>Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
>-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
>-1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
>-1985 300SD, 210K, "Wulf"
>-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
>-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
>-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"

>--

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.