Record High in Deadhorse is 73 F, I think. One  town on the way had a record
low of -89 F...or there abouts...not  counting windchill.

  THis wouldn't be a winter trip...the biggest annoyance will be
MOSQUITOS...,of course I'll be reminded of that when we get snowbound  in one
of those rare summer snow storms and are freezing in a snow  drift.

  Probably should have a satellite phone. I don't think they are too expensive.
CB too.

  Chris

Tom Reynolds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  I'm gettin' hypothermia just
*thinking* about it.  17F with some wind and
outside for 8 minutes letting the dogs out in the morning just about kills me.
Tom
Sand Springs, OK

At 02:05 PM 12/06/2005 -0800, you wrote:

>oh yes. I think the Arctic Circle is mile 115 on  the Dalton Hwy...it
starts in Fairbanks and goes about 440 miles to  Deadhorse...you are abour
300 miles NORTH of the arctic circle - you  stand on the shore of the
Arctic Ocean. Some people take off their  shoes and stand in it. One guy
said it was about 50 F (result of 24  hours of sunlight for two months
straight) - another was there in  summer - it was right about freezing and
the ocean was ice and slush -  I would still stand in about 1 foot deep for
a picture...although if  you slipped, you might die - hypothermia happens
FAST...so does  frostbite - had it once - VERY painful.

>  Chris
>
>Richard Smith  wrote:  Would this put us above
the arctic circle??

>On 12/6/05, Christopher McCann  wrote:
>>
>> A few years ago, my dad's cousin and her husband  drove the Dalton Highway
>> to Deadhorse, Alaska...some 4,000+ miles from  Kansas City in a camper. You
>> can drive within 3 miles of the Arctic  Ocean and from there a bus takes
you
>> to the Ocean...Prudhoe Bay to be  exact. Usually about freezing even in the
>> summer. The Dalton Highway is  mostly gravel, hard on cars (particularly
>> windshields and headlights),  etc. Tons of articles on line and picture
>> galleries.
>>
>> A sample: http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/byway/ak_dalton.htm
>>
>> Anyone interested in an "Arctic-Q"? Not really able to do this any
>> time  soon - maybe this coming summer...or the following summer...but I
>> have  been thinking about it and thought I would throw it out for
>> thoughts,  reactions, ideas, etc. Could be very interesting as a
>> multi-car  caravan...we could carry lots of tools and spare parts between
>> several  vehicles in addition to all the other stuff - spare tires, food,
>> water,  clothes for the arctic blasts that can come at any time, etc.
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
>> -2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
>> -1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
>> -1985 300SD, 210K, "Wulf"
>> -1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
>> -1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
>> -1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"

>--
>OK Richard 1987 300D 178k with miles and miles to go!!!
>Midwest City, Oklahoma
>

>Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
>-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
>-1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
>-1985 300SD, 210K, "Wulf"
>-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
>-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
>-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"

>--

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 210K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"

---------------------------------
 Yahoo! Personals
From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Tue Dec 06 23:48:13 2005
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 18:48:10 -0500
From: Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] transmission rebuilding

David Bruckmann wrote:
> Didn't [EMAIL PROTECTED] make a DVD explaining the rebuild process?

YES. But of course, his video can ONLY illustrate one model. You need
the specific for YOUR transmission. His video can't illustrate the valve
body variations of different transmission.

It CAN be done. Most of the people that rebuilt their own transmissions
managed to do it without MAJOR problems is they did it slowly and
carefully without making ANY mistakes or correcting mistakes before the
transmission was reassembled. This almost always was possible IF they
had someone experienced that they could ask questions of. 30-50 hours is
a common when DIYers rebuild a transmission, but there are a LOT of
pitfalls. Just one mistake and the transmission has to come out to
repair THAT.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5
turbo 237kmi