I have a different take on this (provided you can find enough storage space. Once I collected a spare hood, grille, fenders and bumper (trunk and taillights for the other end) for my 200D, people quit running into it. There is some corollary to Murphy's law: Whatever you have, you won't need. So think of the worst things to repair. Or the most expensive things. Buy those and keep them in stock. That way you will never need them.

Over the bast decades, the most expensive MB parts have been chrome and rubber (and now plastic) THere are a lot of little things you can collect that are great to have on hand. door latches, window cranks, window regulators (not so little, but if you have electric windows, then are great to have) window switches, relays, headlights, taillights, fuses, light bulbs, interior lights, if you have electric seats, seat switches. Door checks, door lock and trunk lock sets. Wiper arms, wiper motors. If you have a 126, get the wiper transmission as protection against kamikaze pheasants.

Wood interior trim, plastic trim, like the stuff on the seats. Maybe rotors, hubs, axle halves, even calipers if you rebuild or disassemble and protect against moisture.

A brake booster can be pricey, so a spare will probably insure that yours will not fail.

My local Pick and Pull gets the occasional W123/W126 diesel in stock.

What parts does it make sense to pull and stash to keep on hand for spares?

Any different opinions for W201/W124 cars?

I was thinking starter, alternator, klima, injectors.

Rick