You can use M1 or Amsoil for Diesel engines rated CF in any aluminum head (OM60x) MB Diesel with extended change interval. You can use M1 CF rated in iron head (OM61x, OM621, OM636) MB Diesels with good results with normal change intervals. Some extended interval might be possible, but you need to use oil analysis to determine soot levels to arrive at change intervals. THe OM60x engines don't get as much soot in the oil as the iron head engines do. ULSD fuels in theory should produce less soot in the iron head Diesels too.

The arguments come in whether the CI rated M1 oils still contain high enough levels of some components to adequately protect older Diesels.

Beware of Castrol syntec and other "synthetic" oils. They provide NO extended change interval capabilities. Jury is still out on Royal Purple and Valvoline synthetic.

List member LarryT can help with oil analysis.

I use M1 in my 603s with 10k intervals and dino in the 616s with normal intervals.

Let the arguments begin.....

I have been reading with interest the threads re the "smoking SDL" and the
turbo issues.  In them there are references to using M1 oil, and I am a bit
confused/curious.  I have been under the impression that the older diesels
should not be using synthetic oils, and not to switch from dino to
synthetic.  Am I wrong here??  Thanks

Ralph '87 300 SDL
           '84 300 CD