Egads, sounds like it might be time for a call to the classic center. Wish I
had an excuse to swing by again...

-Curt

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 19:00:28 -0400
From: "Scott Ritchey" <ritche...@nc.rr.com>
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Aluminum washer

Just my experience:

I too was unable to source the alum washer from stealer.  My 83SD has the
alum washer and it tends to leak until I use MUCHO torque on the hollow bolt
(so much that I fear breaking something).  My 79TD had no alum washer but I
think it had had an additional upper O-ring/grove (can't say if this was
original); and my 79 filter bolt never leaked.  The 79 had a crate engine
installed by a PO and that crate engine may have had upgrades from original.

Looking at the online EPC, there are two versions of the hollow bolt
(A615-990-05-63 and A615-990-08-63) and two versions of the upper seal ring
(N007603-18101 and A000-997-00-48) with the first numbers applying to
earlier engines.  My guess is the N number is the old alum seal which was
later superseded by dual rubber O-rings in later engines.  I'm not sure if
you can just switch to the new style bolt and upper seal ring.  There are
also two styles of filter heads (the upper housing) and the old style filter
head may not seal with the upper rubber o-ring.