Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 00:06:50 -0500
From: Fmiser <fmi...@gmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Aluminum washer

> G Mann wrote:

> 2. Placed the washer /safety wire [with a handle of wire about
> 8 inches long] over a gas stove burner and heated the washer
> while turning it to heat both sides of the flats until
> the .032 stainless wire just started to show some redness from
> heat.

That's a bit hot.  Iron begins glowing at about 550C (1022F),
and aluminum melts about 660C (1220F).  400C (750F) is a good
target for Aluminum.

I did some web searching for a good way to indicate a surface
temp of 340C (650F) to 400C (750F).  A Sharpie marker is
supposed to burn off about that temperature, but one site said
only if it wasn't a fresh mark.  Another suggestion was apply
soap and watch for it turns black.

The most accurate would be a temperature indicating stick.
http://www.tempil.com/products/tempilstik-original/
Probably overkill for annealing a washer!

> 3. Quenched the washer under the kitchen faucet [cold tap].
> You should get a nice "PSsssssshhhhhhhhh}

Annealing of copper, brass, and aluminum is not generally
affected by the speed of the cooling.  So quench if you want,
or air cool, or whatever suits your fancy.  Ferrous metals
(iron and steel) _must_ be cooled slowly to anneal.

--   Philip