Dan,

I am not sure of the details of auto insurance and state laws.  The last
time I purchased a vehicle in PA the seller told me you are automatically
covered for 30 days (he had Allstate at the time) even if you don't notify
them.

If I have put my tags on the car (the seller removed theirs) I would just
call my insurance company and tell them I now have this car.  If I was ever
stopped (before receiving the new insurance card) I would just tell them I
just bought it and haven't received the new card yet, but it is on the
policy.  Usually if the seller is leaving their tags on the car, they can't
cancel the insurance, so it is covered that way.  I believe it is illegal
to have the same item covered under more than one policy at the same time.

As for temporary tags,

I have never bothered with temporary tags unless buying from a dealer who
required them.

In Rich's case I would have just taken an existing tag I had and put that
on the car.  If I was stopped, I would just explain I just bought it, here
is the stack of paperwork, and when I get back home I'll get it all
finalized with the title & tag office - operating under the presumption
better to have a tag that's in your name than no tag at all.