te: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 18:48:32 -0400
> From: Dan Penoff  <lwb...@yahoo.com>
> To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> Subject: Re: [MBZ] Very Aggravating
>
> That doesn't make a lot of sense.
>
> I work a block away from the county central offices, and there is a DMV
> branch there that's totally dead, even at lunchtime.  I asked them how I
> should deal with the purchase and they really didn't know.  The catch-22
> regarding temporary tags came up, and the person there admitted that they
> didn't know how you would go about it, as it's impossible under the current
> laws to get a temporary tag if the car is not physically in the state or your
> possession.  Duh.
>
> I called PA and they were equally clueless.  It wasn't until we were at the
> title place in PA that the offer of a temporary tag even came up.
>
> Dan

Right... the Pennsylvania bureaucracy is a special kind of confusing.  For
certain types of title operations you go to private companies; for certain
types of drivers license things you can go to private companies, online or the
state (in local centers) and for some things you can only go to the state
capital by mail.  And it's quite common for the people who are actively
involved to tell you have to go to somewhere else for something they're
responsible for.
I knew that temporary tags existed for transit however I thought they used to
cost 15 or 20 bucks.  It seems someone in the state had a brilliant eureka
moment where they thought they could raise revenue and whack out-of-state
people by raising the fee by five or six times.  And if I was Dan I would've
said the heck with it too.
Given how dramatically the fee was raised I wonder how many others say the heck
with it and if today they collect as much as they used to under the old
structure.

Tony Wirtel

Former '92 300e/2.6