Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 22:07:37 -0500
From: Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Very Aggravating

>NJ is very strict... I've been "involved" in a few situations that didn't
>go well a few years ago... luckily it was never me directly.  In one case,
>the car was impounded because we couldn't provide proof of insurance (but
>we did have insurance, just no proof).  Other times resulted in lots of
>tickets, but no impound.  In NJ, the key is insurance.  If you don't have
>it, you're in trouble.
>
>Most state police cars now drive around with the license plate scanning
>technology.  So you use an expired plate or one from another car, they
>catch you just by driving by.  I suppose if you use a valid plate from a
>very similar car, you can get away with it.
>
>But I don't take any chances now.  In state, I always arrange to buy cars
>during the week so I can goto the local DMV and register it with insurance
>before driving.  Or I just take the title and come back for the car a few
>days later after I register it.  Out of state is still difficult.  NJ is
>another state that will offer non-residents 30 day temp tags (with proof
>of insurance), but nothing for people in state.
>
>Jaime

Guess I am lucky.  The one time i got a car from east of the
Appalachians, It didn't run so I had no choice but to pay to have it
hauled .

Seems beat to avoid buying cars from East of the Appalachians, as
whacko state laws originate there or Kalyfornya

I still liked my old system, with old cars that had the serial number
plate screwed on:  I swapped the plates and TYP plate, (before VIN)
and never told the insco.  Same car.....just changed color...