In Florida any state LEO can do a VIN verification - I had one of our school
district security guys do one once for me!  We also have community resource
officers in the county who will do it at their leisure, all you have to do is
call their office and ask them to come by.  That's how I got the 300E done, as
I wasn't driving it and I needed the VIN verified to get it titled and tagged.

Indiana used to do the excise tax thing, based on the value of the car - I
don't think they do it anymore, as I don't recall getting gouged on our cars
when I lived there a few yard ago. Back in the day when I was growing up there,
I never owned anything new enough to get dinged with the fees - I was always at
the bottom of the table, so I think I paid something like $25 for my tags.

Dan