On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 14:03:59 -0600 Brian Toscano
<brian.tosc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Its definitely something you can wire, but looks hokey and probably a
> violation of the NEC.

A separately fused branch circuit for an additional 150 W of lighting a
violation of the NEC? I don't think so. And why should it look hokey?
There are a wide variety of wiring accesories available, including NEMA
rated boxes for outdoor applications.

You will probably want to tap off ahead of the maintenance cutout so you
can have light there when you work on the A/C at night.

What is the A/C's branch circuit fused (breakered) at?
What is the starting load of the AC?
What is the running load of the A/C?
What is the locked rotor load rating?
Is the maintenance cutout fused?

Craig

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Craig <diese...@pisquared.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 15:49:58 -0400 Dan Penoff <lwb...@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > That is pretty much what I am seeing as I look at various product
> > > offerings.  They mostly appear to be Chinese junk that have a very
> > > limited working life.
> > >
> > > It would be fairly easy to tap into the AC circuit ahead of the
> > > maintenance cutout.  I'm just not terribly keen about doing that,
> > > as it would be a clear violation of code and pretty obvious as well.
> >
> > How much wattage do you need?
> >
> > Why not tap off and run the wires to a small box with its own
> > breaker/fuse and cutoff switch? That should be legit. You'll want to
> > be observant of 120/240 V issues, too.
> >

> > Craig

Craig

Present:'95 E320        Sebastian  108 kmi
        '94 E420        Oskar      123 kmi
        '82 240D/3.0    Bluebell   265 kmi
Past:   '86 190E/2.3
        '72 220/8