On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems like the consensus is wipe and install 2003R2.
>
> Two more questions:
> 1.  would it be worth considering an install of linux and then run server
> 2003R2 as a VM?  Or is that just wasting resources?  Dell 2650 xeon 2.8 4
> gig memory.

On that machine I would either:
 - run ESXi with 2003 as a guest with the appropriate roles, and then
a CentOS server as another guest for file serving, or
 - run 2003 bare metal and use it as a file server directly.

As Dave says I wouldn't run VMWare server inside another OS.  I don't
know if your 2650 is 64-bit, and if it is if it supports 64-bit
virtualization; if you want to break 4GB or install a 64b Windows
version (like 2008R2) you might have to run on bare metal, I know
there were at least a couple generations of HPs from this era that
were this way.  You will need to check your server against the ESXi
4.0+ HCL, unfortunately I'm coming up empty - I'm sure someone will
know if you google the Xeon revision.

At home I used to have a setup like the first, but recently switched
over to the second (well, 2008 but the same idea).  For security and
reliability the first is better, but for me it's harder to maintain
two servers well. [That said I do miss being able to roll back OS
changes and creating duplicate servers before deployment.]

And despite what I said above, I will probably install VMWare server
on Windows and move my remaining Linux VM; it seems silly to keep
powering my ESXi machine with one VM on it. :) Still that's a
management VM, not production; I wouldn't want to have a production
file server under an OS-based virtualization technology.  Windows is
serving my file shares at this point, and doing an okay job, though of
course there are only five of us in the house and son2 can't use a
computer reliably. :)

Best,
-Tim

> 2.  Has anyone heard of insurance costing more if the business is running
> open source software?

Honestly never thought about it.  Seems like it would be the reverse,
since Windows is (or at least used to be) more likely to be subject to
virus/exploit attacks.