On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is the setup of ESXi strictly command line?  if so, is there a sample
> somewhere of the commands to set it up and install a vm, then start that vm?

No, there is a remote GUI front end.  ESXi is interesting because
there's not really an interface on the machine itself, you have to
remote manage everything.  That's great for companies with lots of
computers, maybe not so much if you have to do work on the machine
itself.

> There is only one *nix command I remember because it is so unlike the
> commands of other os's for the same thing: delete a file is rm (filename).
> It took me so long to find out what the rm command was that I still remember
> it.

They all kind of make sense, just like DOS kind of made sense:
 cd = cd (you know that one :)
 echo = echo (that one too)
 ifconfig = ipconfig
 mkdir = make directory
 ls = list
 mount = "mount" a drive
 umount = "unmount" a drive
 chmod = change modes (attrib)
 cat = equivalent of "type", give or take.

> There is no way I will get  along with a command line thing unless there
> example cheatsheets that I can copy and change the variables like the
> machine names, IP number, subnet mask, etc.

Really easy to do all of these - IMO easier than on Windows - but in
reality that's stuff you'd do on the guest, not the ESXi server.
Still I think that's a high bar, I'd be more inclined to set it up
that way at home and get used to it before I inflicted it on someone
else, and even then I'd be concerned about long term maintenance after
I was NLA.

Best,
-Tim