andrew strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Well, they're not leaking.  I stil think this smell is generated from
>a liiquid burning on a hot surface.  Logically, it's either
>
>1) an oil, PS or SLS fluid, or antifreeze leak under the hood that
>emits a noxious smell when the engine warms up.  The odor is somehow
>drawn into the air intake.  This seems unlikely because the rubber
>gasket (seal) running across the top of the firewall is intact.
>
>2) the air picks up the odor after encountering the WARM heat
>exchanger.  How exactly does the heat exchanger work anyway?

The heat exchanger is a small radiator filled with the same anti-freeze as your
engine.  The mono-valve controls the flow of hot coolant to the heat exchanger.
 The fan blows outside air across the heat exchanger and into the cabin.

Testing the heat exchanger is same as testing the radiator:  pressurize the
entire system, and if the pressure drops, you have a leak.

Test YOUR theory by taking a sample of all the fluids from your car and heating
them up on your stove.  If any of them are responsible for your smell, then
you'll know which system is leaking.

What is my prize?  How about your vote for Mittens this fall?
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC