One of my projects is working with a gentleman in Oz. who has invented a
very ingenious IVT  [Infinitely Variable Transmission] which is capable of
being developed for use in high load/high horsepower applications.

Most interesting in using the IVT in long haul trucks would be the ability
to set the engine at peak efficiency RPM and then "drive the transmission"
to adjust for change in load, road conditions and speed. The truck [or bus]
would always be "in the right gear".

There would be a clutch or a torque converter to uncouple the engine /
transmission and for start, however the transmission will shift under load
into any ratio without "normal gear clash".  In fact, by the current
design, it would be possible to go from the highest ratio to full reverse
at speed. Obviously, in application, that "feature" will be locked out...
;)).

If the project works out, the IVT will select ratio based on a combination
of wheel speed and load, controlled by the "foot feed", so the driver would
actually be controlling the transmission ratio rather than the engine speed
to adjust for change in terrain or traffic demand, while the engine runs at
peak efficiency for maximum fuel economy.

Since the trucking industry is second only to the airline industry in
billions of gallons of fuel used, the savings could be "large" worldwide.

Grant...