I tried unsuccessfully to lock/unlock all the doors from the passenger
side on my '84 300D, but just thought something was defective.  Are
you saying that's normal?

That's normal.  And if you've ever been inside the doors of one of these
cars (versus the later ones), _why_ will be instantly obvious.  You are,
however, supposed to be able to unlock the passenger side all by itself,
unless the lock spring toggle mechanism is broken (as it was in the
Chicken Wagon for a period of time).

The advantages of the later system are legion.  The only downside
is when the pump fails.  (Rare, unless we're talking about the
evil early 126 system.)

-- Jim