"Natural gas would be shut down in the event of an earthquake. Chances may
be slim of an earthquake in your locale, but really no place is 100%
earthquake free. The Midwest is very vulnerable. We don't have mountains,
which seem to attenuate them to a certain area, so they are felt over a much
larger land mass. If an emergency generator is truly for emergencies, one
must account for a wide variety of scenarios."

In FL panhandle (previous home) hurricanes were common (averaged 1-2 a year
back then) and earthquakes (sand quakes?) were non-existent.  So NG was a
good option, particularly since you'd be on the generator for 2-7 days. Here
in NC earthquakes are also rare but we are pretty far inland (hurricane
issue) and typical power outages are less than a day, so propane works fine.
I typically keep a 500 gal underground tank at least half full (which is
actually 200 gal because they will only fill to 80%).  But the main point is
neither NG or propane go "bad" like Diesel or gasoline.