The Southeast is also pretty pro-gun, whereas as you go farther North you
run into strong anti-gun legislation such as in MD or NJ.

VT is notable in that it does not (or did not) issue concealed carry
permits because it is legal by default.  VT gun law basically says we don't
cary what you do with your guns, just don't have them on school property.