On 28/05/2012 7:21 PM, Mitch Haley wrote:
Randy Bennell wrote:
Drove my car to the lake and back on each of the past 2 weekends. 326 miles round trip. Some 4 lane and some 2 lane. 65-75 mph on 4 lane and about 60 mph on 2 lane. Did 28 mpg imp and about 23+ mpg US - on the first trip. Have yet to take it to be filled for the 2nd trip. Raining both times and a bit cool. Will likely do better come warmer summer weather.
Runs good and uses no oil. Not bad for a 36 year old car.

My W116 300sd does about 28 mpg US if you run a whole tank through it in one day.

Mitch.

Yes, I am certain everyone knows the following but will say it anyway. The turbo models are more efficient. My poor old normally aspirated engine has to work hard to run highway speeds. It does not appear to mind doing so but by current standards, it is not as fuel efficient as many others. In 1976, most North American cars were not making anywhere near 20+ mpg and diesel was much less expensive. It was a true economy car then. Time has passed it by to a great extent. My wife's Honda Accord is about the same size when parked next to it in the garage and has more power and makes better mileage and is quieter- at least in terms of engine noise. I don't think that is true of chassis noise etc. I am truly amazed at how well the old car rides and handles on those skinny tires. I might enjoy the turbo if I had it but I am stuck as I really do not need another one and I do not wish to part with my current one. I need to win a lottery and buy more land and build a big garage to store more MB toys. I am sure I am not the only one with that dream.

Randy