Gerry Archer wrote:

Tire Rack and similar websites seem to have the best prices, but around here at least, the dealers charge higher prices for mounting the mailorder tires such that little or nothing is saved by ordering them.

The better labor deals on carry-in tires seem to be at Wal-Mart and my local Farm Bureau co-op. Wal-Mart: $5 mount a carry-in, free mount on purchase, $6.50 lifetime balance, $2.50 stem (or you can buy a 4 pack of stems and they'll install them free with the mount/balance job). Figure $50 and an hour or two wait to install four tires if you buy your own stems for $1 each.

We selected tires for dad's Dakota at Tire Rack, called Farm Bureau for a quote, and FB was cheaper after adding in Tire Rack's shipping charges, so he just bought the whole package from FB. When tires were 6" wide, side to side balance was a lot less important than now.
I'd be reluctant to gravity balance a $120 215/55-16 tire.

Glad to know about Walmart; didn't know they mounted carry-ins.
We don't have Farm Bureau around here; probably because there aren't many
farms.
I've been leery about buying Walmart tires since they contract with the mfg'ers. After Sears started selling Michelins, it soon became apparent that the Sears Michelins were inferior to the tire dealer Michelins. Walmart could be doing the same
although I haven't heard anything similar about their tires.
Gerry