That is what I am thinking.

Some of the black grit I've found in the coolant may be the old head gasket
from when I paid a mechanic to R/R the head.  The Jeep had a weird severe
misfiring problem that turned out to be low compression from faulty exhaust
valves.  I believe it was isolated to 2000-2001 model years when Jeep
changed the valve springs for emissions....

The rust may have formed when the engine was apart when the mechanic worked
on it.  I was in no hurry and he had it apart for about 4 months.

The other unusual thing about this Jeep is that the original owner
purchased it from the dealer with a skunky expansion tank.  He bought it
late in the model year and it was one of the last ones they made.  He also
told me, IIRC, that it was best to leave it near empty to prevent it from
overflowing.  Since I've replaced the thermostat and flushed it out, it
doesn't seem to have that problem anymore.