Those boxes are fairly light and pulling them out of a 123 is relatively easy, compared to a 201. If you are reasonably strong, you don't even need a jack to place the box in position, the 4 speed should be even lighter than the 5 speed. $1000 is a bit high for a clutch replacement job but the clutches are a bit pricey, well they are here.

Hendrik
who has changed a few 5 speed MB boxes

On 04/06/12 03:57, Curt Raymond wrote:
The slave cylinder Hendrik mentioned is a cake job, the throwout bearing is
more than I'd want to do as well. My Indy charged me $1000 to do a clutch
including the bearing about 6 years ago.

If it weren't carbed I might consider it, if it were a 5spd I'd already be on
the plane ;)

Remember they made a 240TD too, this can't be that bad.

-Curt

Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 14:12:34 -0400
From: Tim C<bb...@crone.us>
To: Mercedes Discussion List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Erm... 200T?

Thanks guys.  Looks like the bearing is a bigger job than I would want to
tackle this summer, and still end up with an underpowered car.  It is a
good deal on a 123 wagon chassis if it's in good condition, but at the
moment I need something I can drive.

If anyone wants me to take a look let me know.

Thanks,
Tim