It could just be an issue with fluid level and gunk in the filter.  What does
the fluid look like?

High miles and minimal care would doom a transmission.  Does he have records?
I was pretty pleased that Frosch had records since 1987 that showed continual
care and major work was done as needed.   That the worst the guys at the benz
dealer would say about it was that it was an old car.  If most everything is
all there and it looks like you can use it without immediate draining of wallet
and bank, it might be a good gamble.

clay